Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes is a classic holiday side dish that makes a great year round treat. Done in under 30 minutes this is a quick and healthy side dish that can be made ahead. You can pair this side dish with any meat, and serve it sweet or savory.
Why this works
- Good base - you can make these sweet or savory. Mix and match your seasoning each time to make this an interesting side dish each time. You have more choices than when you just make Mashed Potatoes.
- Make ahead - these can be made ahead and reheated prior to serving without loss of flavor just like my green beans.
- Gluten- and Dairy-Free - these are naturally gluten-free but can also be made dairy-free by using coconut oil instead of butter. So delicious served with some Pressure Cooker Ham.
Ingredients you will need
- Sweet potatoes - pick sweet potatoes that are roughly the same size. Because we are peeling choose medium size tubers so they are easier to handle.
How to make this
Step 1: Peel and cut the sweet potatoes
Insert the rack into the inner liner of the Instant Pot, and pour in the minimum amount of water for your size model.
- 3-Quart Instant Pot - ½ cup
- 6-Quart Instant Pot - 1 cup
- 8-Quart Instant Pot - 2 cups
Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into uniform chunks about 1-inch in size.
Cook on high pressure for 8-minutes and follow with a 5-minute natural pressure release.
Step 2: Drain and mash the sweet potatoes
After you have released the pressure drain the sweet potatoes. If using butter then turn on saute, and add to Instant Pot to melt.
Turn off once mostly melted and return the cooked sweet potatoes to the pot. Add cinnamon, and mash. You shouldn't need to add any additional liquid to the mixture.
To make these savory use chicken broth instead of water to cook. Mix with butter, fresh herbs, and sour cream. To make these sweet add some butter, brown sugar or honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and heavy whipping cream.
Make sure you drain the potatoes really well to prevent the mash from getting to soggy. You can cook in a steamer basket inside the Instant Pot instead of just using the rack.
You can make sweet potatoes up to two days ahead.
You can mix in cornstarch, flour, tapioca, powdered milk, or grated Parmesan to thicken.
They usually are tender enough to mash with a fork or spoon when finished cooking.
These are great served with pork, or chicken. Serve with a green vegetable or tossed salad.
Storage & Reheating
Store in an airtight container or bag for up to one week. Reheat in microwave, or stove on medium-low heat.
These can be frozen in a freezer container or freezer bag for up to three months. Thaw in refrigerator, and reheat per the above.
More side dish recipes
How to video
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or a review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled, and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup water for cooking, minimum amount for your model
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter optional, can substitute with coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Insert rack inside Instant Pot, and add minimum amount of water for your model.
- Add prepared sweet potatoes. Cook on high pressure for 8-minutes followed by a 5-minute natural pressure release.
- Drain sweet potatoes, and return to pot. Add butter, and melt on saute while draining. Add cinnamon, mash, and serve.
- Can be prepared two days in advance. Serve immediately, or store in airtight container for up to one week. Can be frozen for up to three months.