Instant Pot Quick Red Cabbage with Apples is a versatile side dish that pairs well with savory pork, chicken, or beef in the cooler months of the year. I typically serve this with my Easy Pork Schnitzel Recipe, and a side of my Instant Pot Green Beans with Onions.
You can make this in the Instant Pot or in the microwave. I recently discovered that this dish is way easier, and way yummier in the Instant Pot! We'll go over both methods, however, I found that the apples broke down really well in the Instant Pot which meant there was lots of apple goodness weaved throughout the dish. If you prefer firmer apples that are not quite so broken down then the microwave directions will be your cup of tea.
I typically make a double batch of this recipe for my family as we love it, and there never seems to be enough! LOL
Add the jar of sweet and sour cabbage, diced apple, and cinnamon to the Instant Pot. If you are doing this in the microwave simply combine your ingredients into a bowl. Mix everything up real well.
Close the lid on your Instant Pot and seal. Cook on high pressure for zero minutes. Yes, you heard me right! Zero minutes! The time it takes the Instant Pot to come to pressure will cook the food. Then do a 3 minute natural pressure release according to your manufacturers directions.
If you are using the microwave you'll need to cook for 6 minutes, stir, and then cook an additional 3 minutes. Or, cook until the apples have broken down to the desired doneness.
Serve your Instant Pot Quick Red Cabbage immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Instant Pot Quick Red Cabbage
- 1 16-ounce jar Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage with juices
- 1 Apple peeled and diced, small pieces
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot or medium bowl if using the microwave. Mix all ingredients well.
- If using the Instant Pot then close and seal the lid then set to high pressure for zero minutes (the time it takes to come to pressure will cook it). Do a three minute natural pressure release (or if you want crisper apples - do a quick release immediately).
- If using the microwave, cook for six minutes. Stir, then cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until the apples have reach the desired doneness.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Usual Suspects