Instant Pot Red Cabbage is a versatile side dish that pairs well with savory pork, chicken, or beef. Braised quickly in the pressure cooker and done in under 30 minutes. Jarred red cabbage dressed up with some apple and cinnamon for a truly delicious side dish. I typically love to serve this with my Pork Schnitzel.
Why this works
- Quick - the base for this recipe is canned red cabbage so most of the work is done making this a quick hit for dinner. Add a few more ingredients and your family won't know it wasn't fresh.
- Sweet and savory - the red cabbage balanced with apples and cinnamon make a side dish that will compliment just about any meat.
- Dump and go - three ingredients that don't really require any prepping means just dumping them in then pressing the start button. Serve this along side my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
Ingredients you will need
- Apples - you can swap out ½ cup applesauce (with or without cinnamon) for the fresh apples in this recipe. If cinnamon flavored then reduce the cinnamon to ½ teaspoon.
How to make this
Add the jar of sweet and sour cabbage, diced apple, and cinnamon to the Instant Pot.
Close the lid on your Instant Pot and seal. Cook on high pressure for zero minutes.
Yes, you heard me right! Zero minutes! The time it takes the Instant Pot to come to pressure will cook the food. Then do a 3 minute natural pressure release according to your manufacturers directions.
You can add finely diced onion and caraway seeds to dress this up even further with some brown sugar. Add some crumbled goat cheese for some added protein.
Yes, combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl or small pot on stove. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring half way through.
Yes, shred a head of cabbage. Add apple cider vinegar, salt, and brown sugar to taste. Cook for 8 minutes on high pressure.
Storage & Reheating
Store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave for a few minutes.
Freeze in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator, and reheat in the microwave.
More side dish recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or review in the comment section below to tell us about it! I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Instant Pot Red Cabbage
- 2 16-ounce jars Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage with juices
- 1 Apple peeled and diced, small pieces
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot or medium bowl if using the microwave. Mix all ingredients well. .
- Close the lid and seal. Cook on high pressure for zero minutes (the time it takes to come to pressure will cook it). Do a three minute natural pressure release (or if you want crisper apples - do a quick release immediately).
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Don't forget to sign up for our email newsletter to receive recipes and updates from Monday is Meatloaf!