Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup is a hearty meal that uses leftover ham, canned beans, chicken stock, and pantry staple spices. A dump-and-go meal that is infused with deep wholesome flavor.
MY OTHER RECIPES
We are just starting our rainy season here in Florida, and for the past week it has just been raining cats and dogs and squirrels. It was also grey and overcast for days-with no rain. Us Floridian's we just can't hang with that! Hello, Hurricane season! LOL
It's a great time to pull out the slow cooker and have some of Navy Bean Soup. In Florida we have really mild winters, however, our summers are pretty brutal. We end up spending a lot of time in the AC, much like our Northern counterparts do in the winter except next to the heater. This is why this makes so much sense in the summer, light but filling soup that isn't to heavy and isn't to hard to make! It's great for any season.
Prepping the soup
Start off with roughly chopping one really big onion or two small ones, and add to your slow cooker. I like to use Vidalia onions, they have a sweet and delicious flavor.
So slice 4-5 slices of pork jowl bacon (if you can't find this at your local butcher, then add some thick-cut bacon), and add to the slow cooker with the onion.
Add to this 1-2 cubed ham steaks, depending on how meaty you would like your soup!
I don't know about you, but I always over buy my navy beans for Navy Bean Soup! I convince myself I have none, and then end up with like five extra cans! This is okay, because I can always make another batch later! Yes!!!!
Add your navy beans to the slow cooker. Also, add the black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, bay leaf, and chicken broth.
Stir everything together....
Cooking the soup
Then cook on the low setting for 8 hours.
Instant Dutch Oven - set on manual mode 2 at 300-degrees for 45 minutes. Follow the rest of the directions as written.
You can serve this up with some crusty buttered bread you picked up from the local grocery store! Add some fresh chopped onion or pesto or both or nothing.
Filling and delicious...there usually aren't any leftovers of this delicious soup at my house....BUT....if you have them, enjoy them for lunch!
Easy Slow Cooker Navy Bean Soup
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 slices pork jowl bacon or thick-cut bacon optional
- 1 ham steaks cubed
- 4 cans navy beans, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- Roughly chop onion, and slice bacon into small strips. Add to slow cooker.
- Cube ham steaks, and add to slow cooker.
- Add navy beans to slow cooker with liquid.
- Add black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, bay leaf, and unsalted chicken broth to slow cooker. Combine and stir.
- Cook on low setting for eight hours. Serve with fresh chopped onions, or pesto if desired. If using an Instant
Instant Dutch Oven
- Follow all the directions above but cook on the manual mode 2 setting at 300-degrees for 45 minutes.